[CentOS] What keeps logging to my console?

Fri Oct 17 14:45:08 UTC 2008
Michael H. Warfield <mhw at WittsEnd.com>

On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 12:13 +0200, Dirk H. Schulz wrote:
> Hi folks,

> I have lots of messages like these appearing on my local CentOS 5.2
> consoles:
> > Oct 17 12:03:29 machine kernel: printk: 1 messages suppressed.
> > Oct 17 12:03:29 machine kernel: pbond0: received packet with  own address
> as source address

> I have disabled console logging in syslog.conf, and even if I shut down
> syslog and kernel logger, the messages keep coming on the local consoles
> (not on remote consoles).

	This has nothing to do with syslog.  These are kernel printk messages.
They also go to syslog for logging in files but they go straight to the
kernel console as defined at bootup.  Unless you have configured serial
consoles, the "console" for the kernel is the virtual terminals.

> So the question is: What process logs directly to the console bypassing
> syslog/kernel log facilities? How can I find where to stop that?

	It's the kernel itself.

	In a VC:

	setterm --msg off

man setterm:

       -msg [on|off] (virtual consoles only)
              Enables or disables the sending of kernel printk()
              messages to the console.

> Thanks for any hint or help.
>

> Dirk

	Mike