[CentOS] Re: Export restrictions on CentOS 5

Fri Oct 24 01:27:51 UTC 2008
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

2008/10/23 Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>:
> on 10-23-2008 4:53 AM Michael Madden spake the following:
>> What are the export restrictions on CentOS 5.x?  Since it's a rebuild of
>> RHEL I'd suspect it has similar restrictions to what Red Hat has
>> outlined at the following page:
>>
>> http://www.redhat.com/licenses/export/
>>
>> Is this correct? Thanks in advance.
> I don't think CentOS is a U.S. Entity, so the export restrictions are probably
> different, if they exist at all.
>
> Besides, how do you restrict something that is freely downloadable from the
> internet worldwide?

The URL Michael included in his post includes this data:

>Embargoed Destinations

>Red Hat's software and/or technical data may NOT be exported/reexported, either >directly or indirectly, to the following U.S. embargoed or restricted destinations:

>Cuba, Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Sudan or Syria

Michael: The U.S. regulations for  export restrictions probably only
involve the Encryption utilities. As Scott pointed out, you can
probably DL CentOS worldwide, and I know there is at least one person
in Cuba who posts to this mailing list. If you are not in a country
that is in the above list (and I suspect Iraq is OK now), there should
not be a problem. Possibly Venezuela has been added to the above list,
or will be, in the future. The list involves state sponsors of
terrorism. North Korea may also be coming off the list.   Lanny