[CentOS] Export restrictions on CentOS 5

Fri Oct 24 01:50:29 UTC 2008
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Michael Madden wrote:
> What are the export restrictions on CentOS 5.x?  Since it's a rebuild of
> RHEL I'd suspect it has similar restrictions to what Red Hat has
> outlined at the following page:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/licenses/export/
>
> Is this correct? Thanks in advance.

Export restrictions are only for people exporting the software.  If you
are going to export CentOS to a country on the export list ... DON'T :D

CentOS does not export our software, however if you are asking how you
can export it, the CentOS project thinks that since we do not sell the
software that it more closely resembles the Fedora Matrix:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/Export

The major difference between the RHEL and Fedora is that Fedora is not a
commercial product (and neither is CentOS). As such, we feel CentOS
falls under the TSU exemption WRT licensing.  CentOS should not be
exported to any countries on the exempt list.

I also want to again stress that if YOU (a company) are going to export
CentOS then YOU (said company) have to determine the licensing
requirements with respect to the way YOU (said company) are using and
exporting CentOS.  If you are distributing it with commercial software
(for example) then it would probably NOT fall under the TSU exemption.

We think that all versions of CentOS fall under the 5D002 ECCN.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes