[CentOS] "core" installs of 5.2 missing crucial packages like yum, selinux-policy-targeted, vim-minimal, etc.

Tue Oct 28 19:44:47 UTC 2008
Filipe Brandenburger <filbranden at gmail.com>

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 15:34, Johnny Tan <linuxweb at gmail.com> wrote:
> I had a 5.0 kickstart server which did "core" installs of CentOS (i.e.:
> "%packages --nobase").

IMHO, that's a very bad idea. Unless your diskspace is very very tight
(in which case you should probably look into DSL or another
distribution made for that purpose), why would you want to install
CentOS without the "base" packages?

All machines that I've seen that have been installed with --nobase are
crippled. Some programs and mainly scripts just don't work, because
they need to run some utility that is not installed.

Consider removing the --nobase and, if there are packages you would
like to remove from base and you're positive that it's safe to do it,
use -packagename.

Filipe