[CentOS] kickstart problems

Paolo Supino paolo.supino at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 13:31:08 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Romeo Ninov <rninov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Paolo Supino  wrote / napísal(a):
>

>> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Romeo Ninov <rninov at gmail.com <mailto:
>> rninov at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>    Paolo Supino  wrote / napísal(a):
>>

>>        On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 8:14 AM, nate <centos at linuxpowered.net
>>        <mailto:centos at linuxpowered.net>
>>        <mailto:centos at linuxpowered.net
>>
>>        <mailto:centos at linuxpowered.net>>> wrote:
>>
>>           Paolo Supino wrote:
>>           > Hi Nate
>>           >

>>           > 3: After the error comes up I get the HTTP setup
>>        configuration
>>           screen with
>>           > the source website (in IP) and CentOS directory as I entered
>>           them in the
>>           > pxeconfiguration file and as it appears in the kickstart
>>           configuration file
>>           > and all I have to do is press the 'OK' button to continue the
>>           installation
>>           > to a successful completion.
>>
>>           If that's the case the next most likely culprit is
>>
>>           > url --url http://192.168.11.1/source
>>

>>           Just because the PXE boot loader can download the kickstart
>>           config does not mean that the installation process will work
>>           with that NIC.
>>
>>           Also I've had lots of broadcom systems not work with
>>        kickstart over
>>           the years, it's not uncommon for newer systems to have newer
>>           revs of the chipsets and those revs not being supported by the
>>           installer.
>>
>>           But it sounds like in your case it does work, so I would look
>>           at the url above, as it likely is the cause of the problem.
>>        Check
>>           the http access logs on the server for 404s and similar errors.
>>
>>           nate

>>        Hi Nate
>>
>>         After figuring what I was doing wrong (see previous reply
>>        ...) I started going through each of my systems in order to
>>        boot them and install CentOS 5.2 on each. For the most part it
>>        works, but only for the most part? Because once in a few boots
>>        (not machine specific) anaconda stops and either asks me what
>>        interface it needs to configure or fails to load 'stage2.img'
>>        from the web server on 192.168.11.1 <http://192.168.11.1>
>>        <http://192.168.11.1> ... All cables are good cables. The
>>        network switch is a Cisco 3750G with no configuration) and all
>>        the NICs are broadcom with firmware 3.8.9. <http://3.8.9.>
>>        <http://3.8.9.> Can you throw a guess where the problem might
>>        be lying (I hate inconsistencies)?
>>

>>    Have you check apache logs for something. Check also the server
>>    messages

>> Hi Romeo
>>
>>  Yes I did, and nothing shows up in either access_log or error_log :-(
>> I just had a node that stopped asking me for IP configuration (twice) and
>> only on the second time (checked on the server using tcpdump) did it
>> actually try to contact the server to retrieve network configuration
>> continue and it successfully retrieved 'stage2.img' from the web server :-(

> [...]

Hi Romeo

  The more systems I boot the more I'm starting to feel that it's hardware
problem related ... I just booted a system in which the ELOM says that NIC0
has 1 MAC address, but when I boot the system I saw on the network a
different MAC address altogether ...
  I'm checking at the lowest level: on the wire (using tcpdump) so if
nothing shows in the capture I'm sure I won't find anything in the logs :-(

--
TIA
Paolo