[CentOS] Re: Curmudgeoning (was Re: Problems with writing Dual Layer DVD)

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 2 18:55:30 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 02 September 2008 19:10:32 MHR wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 10:50 AM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>
wrote:
> > 3.1.1,  IIRC
>
> Nope, 3.11.

You could be right.

> > I did.  It was better than 95, and better than 98 first edition.
>
> I was making a joke about WfW screaming.
>
> > USB drives should work without any problem at all, assuming he is using
> > 98SE.
>
> No, the newer generation drives, mostly 1GB and up, explicitly do not
> have drivers for 98SE at all.  In theory, one could tweak a
> pre-existing driver to handle the extra memory, but in fact, a
> Kingston 1GB drive will not work with 98SE.  That's the beauty of
> Windows....

Can't argue with you :-)  It does seem likely, as 1GB flash drives wouldn't
have been a possibility at that time.  I never owned one at all until
relatively recently.

> > They didn't work in 98 first edition, nor in NT4 or Win2000 - again, from
> > memory, which could be faulty.
>
>  In Win2k, Micro$oft finally got up to speed and most flash drives
> will work with it, but XP is better.

Fair enough.  Out of curiosity - do they work in W2K out of the box, or
require some update?  I ask because I'm considering W2K as a
VM.

Anne