[CentOS] kickstart problems

Paolo Supino paolo.supino at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 07:35:02 UTC 2008

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 8:27 AM, Romeo Ninov <rninov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Paolo Supino  wrote / napísal(a):

>>    hi,
>>
>>    we had the same problem with newer HP pcs and servers (broadcom nics).
>>    pxe works well on broadcom, the install not. doesn't matter if you're
>>    using kickstart or manual install.
>>
>>    the problem was in centos 4.2. after updating the install
>>    environment to
>>    4.5 the problem was gone... so it was a driver issue! the install
>>    kernel
>>    is not exactly the normal linux kernel i think.
>>
>>    if anaconda just says that it cannot find install image, etc. the
>>    system
>>    has no connectivity at this time.
>>
>>    hope this is helpful...
>>
>>    bests
>>     marco
>>
>>    Paolo Supino wrote:
>>    >
>>    >
>>    > On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Romeo Ninov <rninov at gmail.com
>>    <mailto:rninov at gmail.com>
>>    > <mailto:rninov at gmail.com <mailto:rninov at gmail.com>>> wrote:
>>    >
>>    >
>>    >
>>    >     Paolo Supino  wrote / napísal(a):
>>    >
>>    >
>>    >
>>    >         On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Romeo Ninov
>>    <rninov at gmail.com <mailto:rninov at gmail.com>
>>    >         <mailto:rninov at gmail.com <mailto:rninov at gmail.com>>
>>    <mailto:rninov at gmail.com <mailto:rninov at gmail.com>
>>    >         <mailto:rninov at gmail.com <mailto:rninov at gmail.com>>>> wrote:
>>    >
>>    >
>>    >
>>    >            Paolo Supino  wrote / napísal(a):
>>    >
>>    >
>>    >
>>    >                On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 8:14 AM, nate
>>    >         <centos at linuxpowered.net
>>    <mailto:centos at linuxpowered.net> <mailto:centos at linuxpowered.net
>>    <mailto:centos at linuxpowered.net>>
>>    >                <mailto:centos at linuxpowered.net
>>    <mailto:centos at linuxpowered.net>
>>    >         <mailto:centos at linuxpowered.net
>>    <mailto:centos at linuxpowered.net>>>
>>    >                <mailto:centos at linuxpowered.net
>>    <mailto:centos at linuxpowered.net>
>>    >         <mailto:centos at linuxpowered.net
>>    <mailto:centos at linuxpowered.net>>
>>    >
>>    >                <mailto:centos at linuxpowered.net
>>    <mailto:centos at linuxpowered.net>
>>    >         <mailto:centos at linuxpowered.net
>>    <mailto:centos at linuxpowered.net>>>>> wrote:
>>    >
>>    >                   Paolo Supino wrote:
>>    >                   > Hi Nate
>>    >                   >
>>    >
>>    >                   > 3: After the error comes up I get the HTTP setup
>>    >                configuration
> [...]

Hi Marco

  I didn't finish testing the way Nate asked me to so right now I don't have
any conclusive answers about what exactly is going on, but in pasting my
original email (that started this thread) I wrote that what I see happening
is:
anaconda prints an error message that it fails to retrieve 'stage2.img' from
the HTTP server. I press 'OK' in the error message screen. The screen that
comes after it is the HTTP setup screen with the information given by the
'ks' directive from pxelinux already in place, so that the only thing left
for me to do is press the 'OK' button. When I press the 'OK' button anaconda
successfully retrieves 'stage2.img' from the http server and goes on to
finish successfully the unattendded install (take a look at my original
post). The only thing that makes sense is that the network configuration
didn't finish (yet) before tring to retrieve 'stage2.img'.
  Along the way I tried to change configuration various times and I got all
possible failures (or at least it feels like it): failed to retrieve
kickstart config file, failed to retrieve 'stage2.img' file no matter how
many times I pressed the 'OK' button in the HTTP setup screen, and probably
a few more scenarios that I'm trying very hard to forget ;-)
  One thing I noticed is that anaconda reconfigures the network interface
after the kernel already configured it and successfully retrieves the
kickstart config file from the web server (proved by sniffing the network).
The question that goes in my mind when I see it is: why is it doing that???
and makes me feel that something is wrong in the assumptions and install
process ..,
  Maybe you're right about the module loading issue because (though it
doesn't explain what I wrote in the original post): I resorected my old
distro (a heavily modified Slackware) to test the issue and what I found is
that a no module kernel (all needed drivers are statically compiled before)
and no initrd to mess things up the issue simply didn't happen (tested 10
times).
  On the other hand if you were right about it than RHEL/CentOS/Fedora
installation would be unsuitable in any multihome configuration because it
would map ETH devices differently (albeit once in a while) which means one
whould have to swtich the cables because of network device remapping!!! and
that isn't something users and corporations that use REHL (and there are
many of those) would be willing to live with :-)

--
ttyl
Paolo