[CentOS] kickstart problems

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Sep 4 07:51:00 UTC 2008

Paolo Supino wrote:
>   On the other hand if you were right about it than RHEL/CentOS/Fedora
> installation would be unsuitable in any multihome configuration
> because it would map ETH devices differently (albeit once in a while)
> which means one whould have to swtich the cables because of network
> device remapping!!! and that isn't something users and corporations
> that use REHL (and there are many of those) would be willing to live
> with :-)

(please PLEASE trim quoted articles to just what you're commenting on,
like I have above).

I've /never/ seen RHEL/CentOS or any of its predecessors renumber
ethernet ports on a working system..   I've seen it number them
backwards, such that eth0 was the port labeled '1' outside the chassis
and eth1 was port '0', but it was extremely consistent about this (one
specific case of this I remember is  RHEL2.1 or 3 on a Intel SE7501WV2
dual xeon board).   I've had a pile of different RH linux configurations
running on various servers for 10 or more years.