[CentOS] OT: workstation recommends: Thinkmate?

Barry Olddog oldcanine at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 20:31:14 UTC 2008

----- Original Message ----

As a sequel, I'm not only rethinking Thinkmate, but Opterons themselves. The university department I work with recently bought some Opteron machines (two-processor 2350) HPs, and also has some recent Xeon (two-processor 5405) Dells.

I ran a test on them with a Java parsing (natural language) program and found that the Xeons did 33.72 words per second, while the Opterons lagged at 20.04 words per second. These are both running the same Ubuntu version. It may not be a common or representative benchmark, but it is the kind of thing I'll be using my new machine for.