[CentOS] Re: DKIM

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Thu Sep 25 17:12:48 UTC 2008

on 9-25-2008 9:58 AM John Hinton spake the following:
> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> Toby Bluhm wrote:
>>> BTW - very informative thread.
>>>
>> <thought>
>> I wonder if someone might take the bits of info in this thread and put
>> it into a wiki page around Mail Servers and perhaps start a best
>> practices section...
>>
>> Would
>> http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos#head-49a3d6a9a0c95cff0676b0209eae985780e41678
>> be a good place to consolidate under ?
>>
>> </thought>
>>
> This has been an excellent thread. Yet this thread has been only one
> tiny aspect of good email practices. Yet many folks 'respectfully' did
> not understand a lot that was corrected in several of the posts in just
> this one very basic aspect of email.
>
> This leads me to ask for a CentOS mailing list for email....
>
> For webserver/mailserver admins, it seems that email is by far the
> largest issue, spanning everything from DNS to server loads to choosing
> (and the configuration of) many applications... some not upstream
> packages. It's easy to get into a mess and not have a good way back to
> the base. MailScanner comes to mind. Great software, but dependency
> hell. I found that I could have used many Perl packages from the Dag
> repo instead of how MailScanner chose to do its install. This resulted
> in a much cleaner install with regards to package management. If there
> had been a CentOS email, mailing list, much of this could have been
> headed off and perhaps more wiki's would spring out of it? Yet again,
> the above is just one other tiny aspect of reliable email service on a
> CentOS server.
>
> When I go off to other software and to their mailing list, the answers
> are more about 'how to get it to work' instead of 'how to get it to best
> co-exist within CentOS'. In fact, many hate rpm and insist on totally
> sidestepping it. Yes, sometimes it's a PITA, but most of the time
> staying within upstream keeps me out of trouble which is why I guess
> most of us are using CentOS in the first place.
>
> This was what led to my thought for a CentOS specific mailing list for
> email. Yes, there is a huge amount of data out there, just like this
> thread. But these types of threads clog a general list and I've always
> hesitated to post any email issues here. Yet, it is extremely difficult
> to drill down a search to the good information with regards to CentOS
> specific help or good practices with regards to email. Google anyway you
> want.... you either miss what's good or get way the heck to much
> information that is not helpful to CentOS, in spite of using CentOS as a
> part of the search.... yes, even in quotes. And, on a list like this you
> get to know who to trust. General searches often times yield idiotic
> suggestions or old practices. The target is constantly moving. Large
> providers are constantly making 'new rules'. My clients don't care, they
> [...]
Then others would want a list for the LAMP stack. Then a directory server
list. And then ... etc.

If we all just try and keep on topic and not get our undies bunched up when we
read something we don't like, or just take the argument off list until things
cool down, this list is more than adequate. A "one stop shop" on everything
CentOS.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and