[CentOS] Re: DKIM

Bob Hoffman bob at bobhoffman.com
Thu Sep 25 17:57:01 UTC 2008

> > Karanbir Singh wrote:
> >>>
> >> <thought>
> >> I wonder if someone might take the bits of info in this thread and
> >> put it into a wiki page around Mail Servers and perhaps
> start a best
> >> practices section...
> >>

>From hotmail, thought this would be helpful to the thread...or the wiki. Rep
actually mentions the program they use.

Hello Bob,

My name is Anja from Windows Live Hotmail Domain Support. I understand that
you have changed the servers you are sending your mail from and now messages
are being delivered to the Junk Mail Folder in Hotmail accounts.

I have investigated the IPs that you have mentioned and only see connections
from the IPs 72.35.68.58 and 72.35.68.61. For today, we do see filtering
only on the IP 72.35.68.61.

( I only tested from a few virtualhosts on hotmail, some got through no
problem.)

Hotmail bases its spam rating on the content of a message and the reputation
of the sending IP address. When an IP is new, it will not have built a
reputation yet. Therefore, it may happen that it is filtered more severely
than a well used IP with a good reputation. However, if you keep following
the industry best practices a good reputation will be built quickly and
filtering will stop.

(reputation....takes time)

We may be able to help you over the beginning issues that you are
experiencing, however, before we can do that we would like you to publish
SPF records for each of your sending domains. This technology allows
SmartScreen to better track emails from your IP, weeding out spoofed
messages. In turn, this will help to improve the reputation of your IP
address.  You can find additional information on creating SPF records at
http://www.microsoft.com/senderid.  We have also published a document on
email delivery at http://www.microsoft.com/postmaster.

(microsoft uses a different standard thqn regular spf, spf/pra or something
like that. Where yahoo wants domain keys, google wants regular spf...again,
all about time for new ip addresses, even if you have these things)

Once you have published SPF records for all your sending domains, please
contact us again and we will further investigate the issue.

Best regards,

Anja

Windows Live Hotmail Domain Support