[CentOS] Probably a bad set-up but which one?

Bob Hoffman bob at bobhoffman.com
Tue Sep 30 02:50:04 UTC 2008

> > > I can't get the simple Perl "Hello World" script to work.
> >
> > I can't get the "Hello World" program in the C++ book I
> began reading
> > to work. Seems to compile without errors, but nothing on my
> CRT.  Will
> > try it again and start a thread here...   :-)
>
> Let me guess...
>
> you named it "test", right? Then when you run "test"
> "nothing" happens?
>
> two things:
> 1. there's already a program named test, which displays no
> output, it merely has an exit status.
> 2. for a program in your current directory, run it with a
> preceding "./", e.g., "./test"--because "." is not in the
> path (and shouldn't be).

This reminds me. I tried playing with c++ once back in like 96. I made a
hello program on my windows 95 system and then forgot about it.
I kept that system and never reformatted all the way through to windows xp.
I could not believe it was working.

One day in 2002 or so, I entered the command prompt and bored, typed 'hello'
to my computer.
It replied by saying 'hello bob, about time you got this working'

So, after I got spooked, I remembered that program from years ago...still on
the computer.

I know off topic, but it was funny