[CentOS] Questions on custom LiveCD

Tue Sep 30 14:39:13 UTC 2008
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

I tried making my own LiveCD according to the instructions on the project
site. First, applause, the basic procedure works like a charm. It's really
easy to do and works right from the beginning (I'm building it inside a
VM). I tried the minimal and the desktop version (with a few changes).

I have encountered a few problems and have some questions.

The German keyboard I set in the kickstart file was setup correctly for
text mode, but not for graphical mode. I can change it from within the
account, so everything that needs to be there seems to be there. Do others
have the same problem?

The graphical mode just displays a blank screen on my laptop (contains
some S3 UniChrome chip). Is this an expected problem? It's not a big
problem that the X server doesn't run on that laptop, but I wonder if it's
possible to use a more generic driver that would at least display in lower
resolution or so? (as I don't know if the machine where the CD might get
used also has an unsupported chipset.)

The goal is to create a CD that provides a browser and a LAMP web
application, so that a few people that don't have access to the net in
their office can use/test a database project. So, going on, I would like
to add the code and database to the CD, so that the user can open Firefox
and use the application from the local webserver. I see that the structure
of the CD is an ext3fs.img with the root filesystem in a squashfs.img in
the iso file. If I change the content of the ext3fs.img can I put it back
on the rw mounted squashfs.img and that in the iso? If yes, I assume I
would need to cater for a necessary resize of the images. If no or if
there is a better way, how?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany