[CentOS] Questions on custom LiveCD

Tue Sep 30 19:51:54 UTC 2008
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

Kai Schaetzl wrote on Tue, 30 Sep 2008 16:39:13 +0200:

> If I change the content of the ext3fs.img can I put it back
> on the rw mounted squashfs.img and that in the iso?

Answering myself: no.

The procedure I used now is in short:
unsquashfs the squashfs.img
add a few files to the home dir on ext3fs.img, just for testing
mksquashfs the new squashfs.img from the squashfs-root tree
extract all stuff from the iso to a directory tree, replace the
squashfs.img with the new one. Then mkisofs the directory to a new iso.
Seems to has worked just fine. The resulting CD looks the same as the
original one, just with additional translation tables and a slightly
bigger squashfs.img.

Problem: at boot the kernel finally panics because of a problem with
initrd. It "can't find root file system" and drops me to a shell.
Why would I need a new initrd if I just add a few static files?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany