[CentOS] Re: DKIM

Thu Sep 25 19:23:16 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 9-25-2008 11:43 AM John Hinton spake the following:
> Toby Bluhm wrote:
>> Scott Silva wrote:
>> .
>> .
>> .
>>> A "one stop shop" on everything CentOS.
>>>

>> I like that approach better. A new list for email only would probably
>> lead to email threads on *both* lists, users being reminded to take
>> the <select inappropriate subject> discussion to the other list, etc.
>>

> My point is we go unhelped by CentOS. There is no way I'm going to post
> mail issues to this list. And this list would become unusable if we
> started this. Talking about spam filters, milters and on and on and on.
> Look what just happened. One single very simple question of the
> thousands to be dealt with and the thread went crazy... at which point
> it was suggested that we end this thread. So, basically, posts about
> 'all' things email are NOT welcomed on this list.... and should not be.
>
> John Hinton
Posts about sendmail would go on the sendmail list, postfix on that list. Exim
has a list, everyone has a list. The DKIM thread went out of control when
anger and hurt feelings came into play. It started OK with opinions on whether
DKIM is necessary or not, and crashed and burned soon after.

If the message said something like, "I'm having trouble installing dkim-milter
on CentOS", that would be answered after some requests for information.

When you ask opinions on a mailing list, you will probably get a different one
with every response.

If you are having mail issues, it is mostly related to your MTA and would go
on their list. If you are using a binding software like Mailscanner or Amavis,
you would start on their list.

If you want one place to get all your answers, you will probably have to pay
for a support contract somewhere.

A list just for mail issues would still probably get ignored because there
will be many less members. The ones that would join would be the people in
trouble. It will look like the Ubuntu lists... many unanswered pleas for help,
or answers from others that hacked their way through it and now think they are
experts.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and