[CentOS] Re: question on sending mail with 5.2

Mon Sep 15 15:43:27 UTC 2008
Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com>

on 9-13-2008 2:50 AM Ralph Angenendt spake the following:
> Luke S Crawford wrote:
>> considering just how many people use greylisting, this is likely a
>> bad idea.    Greylisting works by rejecting the first message from a new
>> server with a 4xx (temporary) error code.   If the server tries again
>> immediately or never tries again, it's probably a spammer.  If the server
>> waits a reasonable period of time (say, 30 minutes) and then re-sends the
>> mail,  it's probably legit, and the greylist program puts that server on the
>> whitelist so mail from that server goes through right away next time.
>>
>> Many people set things up such that if you try again immediately, you get
>> put on a blacklist, as you are probably a spammer.
>
> I really don't understand why people just don't turn off their mailservers if they
> don't want mail from others.

I just don't want mail from others that are sending me bulk crap telling me
how inadequate my manhood is or plugging the next new penny stock, or can't
take 5 minutes to read how to setup their server properly.

If someone wants to send me legitimate mail, I'll do my best to accept it.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and