[CentOS] Torrent tracker for CentOS v5.3 working properly?

Sorin Srbu sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se
Wed Apr 1 09:36:02 UTC 2009

Behalf
>Of John R Pierce
>Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 11:23 AM
>To: CentOS mailing list
>Subject: Re: [CentOS] Torrent tracker for CentOS v5.3 working properly?
>
>Sorin Srbu wrote:
>> Thanks for the info. Checked the tracker in my torrent-client, and it's
the
>> same as yours. Seems I have a possible firewall-issue on my hands here.
>> OTOH, it's weird, as the one torrent works fine. Strange...
>>
>> Anyway, I've contacted the university-wide helpdesk for a possible
solution.

>Torrent clients perform best if they can use a port which is reachable
>from outside.  it can be any port whatsoever, as the port your client is
>using is announced via the trackers.
>
>some torrent clients seem to require a different port for each torrent,
>while others can handle multiple torrents concurrently with a single
>port.  my favorite client is the MS Windows only uTorrent, 2nd favorite
>is the portable java based Azureus.

I've enabled http-seeding on port 80. Don't know for sure if this works
and/or helpt anything, but since this port is probably the only one open to
the outside at our university it might work. For incoming connections my
client is set to the random port number 21815 which is likely blocked and
outside of my permission to allow open.

I use Azureus in WinXP for practical reasons, FWIW. Torrents are for me
something of a hocus-pocus thing. Either it works or not...
--
/Sorin