[CentOS] [OT] Godaddy hell...

Fri Apr 3 22:32:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Luke S Crawford <lsc at prgmr.com> wrote:
> "Jason Pyeron" <jpyeron at pdinc.us> writes:
<snip>
> another note:  I would focus less on SLA and more on how often they are
> down (and how open they are about downtime.  Hiding downtime is a very
> bad sign.)  Does a free month really make up for any significant amount of
> downtime?

And, on their connectivity. My sites are on shared servers in two
different OLM   DCs, in CT. Multiple providers for connectivity. A day
or two ago, there was some problem/error caused by AT&T and
*everything* was offline, in the Stratford, CT DC, for 45 minutes or
an hour. Despite the best laid plans OLM has made and their redundant
connectivity, the DC was offline. Also, look at their emergency power.
The other DC is in an area that lost power a week or so ago and it's
nice that their emergency generators and UPS can keep things up and
running, as was the case. The kind of DC the server is in can make a
lot of difference. Look at the information about the DC your server
will be in and who is there, if there's a disaster at Midnight or 1
A.M., as happened in the Stratford DC a day or two ago...   I know OLM
does everything possible, to try to keep disasters from happening. Be
sure the DC you select does the same! Infrastructure is costly and
important.
<snip>

I know on http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ one can find someone or a
company to "Manage" a Dedicated server or VPS, but as with any
"Managed" service, the OP and his company should completely understand
what their "Management" does or does not include. I suspect it will
cost more, for a "Fully Managed" dedicated or vps from the provider,
than buying the services separately, but not sure about that.