[CentOS] Having trouble installing flash player on centos 5.3 desktop machine

Linda Stark nadsab1 at live.com
Sat Apr 4 18:14:53 UTC 2009

> From: CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
> To: centos at centos.org
> Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 13:56:08 -0400
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Having trouble installing flash player on centos	5.3	desktop machine
>

> On Sat, 2009-04-04 at 10:11 -0700, Linda Stark wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm having trouble getting the flash player installed onto my centos
> > desktop.
> >
> > When i go to the adobe site, I click on the YUM for Linux version,
> > then install it, and PC says
> > "/tmp/adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch-1.rpm is already installed" -
> > but it's not working.
> >
> > So then tried downloading the .tar.gz for linux version, and PC asks
> > me which program to open to install it, and i don't have a clue.
> >
> > Then I try downloading the .rpm version for linux, and my pc says
> > "/tmp/flash-plugin-10.0.22.87-release.i386.rpm is already installed",
> > but it's still not working.
> >
> > What am I doing wrong?
>
> I don't know, but what you describe sure doesn't look like my 5.x
> system.
>

> > Thanks anyone.
>
> Being a weekend, the really knowledgeable folks may not be active today.
> I would suggest you eventually google and select centos site in the
> These all a related to Firefox IIRC. I've listed a few things below that
> may get you going. If not, "Google is your friend".
>
> What I do know, is this.
>
> $ rpm -q adobe-release-i386
> adobe-release-i386-1.0-1
>
> $ rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/lib/flash-plugin
> flash-plugin-10.0.22.87-release
>
> $ rpm -q --filesbypkg flash-plugin-10.0.22.87-release
> flash-plugin              /usr/lib/flash-plugin
> flash-plugin              /usr/lib/flash-plugin/LICENSE
> flash-plugin              /usr/lib/flash-plugin/README
> flash-plugin              /usr/lib/flash-plugin/homecleanup
> flash-plugin              /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so
> flash-plugin              /usr/lib/flash-plugin/setup
> flash-plugin              /usr/share/doc/flash-plugin-10.0.22.87
> flash-plugin              /usr/share/doc/flash-plugin-10.0.22.87/readme.txt
>
> $ locate flash-plugin
> /usr/lib/flash-plugin
> /usr/lib/flash-plugin/LICENSE
> /usr/lib/flash-plugin/README
> /usr/lib/flash-plugin/homecleanup
> /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so
> /usr/lib/flash-plugin/setup
> /usr/share/doc/flash-plugin-10.0.22.87
> /usr/share/doc/flash-plugin-10.0.22.87/readme.txt
>
> In my history file made with
>
>   rpm -qa --last >Desktop/RpmInstalledByDate
>
> is
>
>   flash-plugin-10.0.22.87-release  Wed 25 Feb 2009 05:19:20 AM EST
>
> Since it has no "el5" of "rf", I presume it came from Adobe, so you are
> apparently in the right place.
>
> Nothing like you were describing should ever install in /tmp. /tmp is a
> temporary storage area that is subject to arbitrary "cleaning". Maybe
> [...]

Hi,

Thanks I'll do some research on google.  For now, I am assuming that the file I need to install is
"flash-plugin-10.0.22.87-release.i386.rpm" - is this correct?  I downloaded it from adobe, assuming it
got saved in tmp.

And you are saying I should move the file out of tmp before install?

Linda

[root at localhost tmp]# ls -la
total 8032
drwxrwxrwt 11 root    root       4096 Apr  4 13:45 .
drwxr-xr-x 24 root    root       4096 Apr  4 12:40 ..
-rwx------  1 root    root       4368 Apr  4 13:00 adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch-1.rpm
-r--------  1 user user    4368 Apr  4 12:59 adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch.rpm
drwx------  2 user user    4096 Mar 30 07:30 .exchange-user
-rwx------  1 user user 4065576 Apr  4 13:08 flash-plugin-10.0.22.87-release.i386.rpm
drwxrwxrwt  2 root    root       4096 Apr  4 12:40 .font-unix
drwx------  3 user user     4096 Apr  4 12:42 gconfd-user
-rw-------  1 user user      66 Apr  1 04:56 .gdmINUQRU
srw-rw-rw-  1 root    root          0 Apr  4 12:40 .gdm_socket
-rw-------  1 user user      66 Apr  4 12:42 .gdmV125RU
drwxrwxrwt  2 root    root       4096 Apr  4 12:42 .ICE-unix
-r--------  1 user user 3994294 Apr  4 13:06 install_flash_player_10_linux.tar.gz
drwx------  2 user user    4096 Apr  4 12:42 kde-user
drwx------  3 user user    4096 Apr  4 12:42 ksocket-user
drwx------  2 user user    4096 Apr  4 13:50 orbit-user
drwx------  2 user user    4096 Apr  4 12:42 ssh-VPclej3237
-r--r--r--  1 root    root         11 Apr  4 12:40 .X0-lock
drwxrwxrwt  2 root    root       4096 Apr  4 12:40 .X11-unix