[CentOS] Segmentation fault using flash-plugin under CentOS 5.3

Rob Kampen rkampen at kampensonline.com
Thu Apr 9 19:00:33 UTC 2009

carlopmart wrote:
> Hi all
>
>   I have a very strange problem on my CentOS 5.3 laptop. I have installed latest
> firefox version from updates repository (3.0.7) with flash-plugin downloaded
> from adobe website. When i open firefox and i need to access to some web site
> with flash content, firefox crash with this message:
>
>   /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.7/run-mozilla.sh: line 131:  9133 Segmentation fault
>   "$prog" ${1+"$@"}
>
>   Problem appears with versions 3.0.5 and 3.0.6 too. On the other hand, I have
> another laptop installed with RHEL 5.3 with firefox and flash-plugin (but this
> flash-plugin is installed from redhat repository - rhn) and this problem doesn't
> appears ...
>
>   Where is the problem?? Maybe is it a bug with firefox under CentOS only??
>
>   Thanks.

I too have this problem on one of my centOS work stations - I have two
almost identical work stations running 64 bit versions of the os, but 32
bit firefox versions. One machine is quite happy with the new flash, the
other does a seg fault on any page that has a flash animation. My fix
has been to use version flash-plugin-9.0.124.0-release.i386 and this
seems to work fine - go figure
HTH