[CentOS] Dual-boot with WinXP, CentOS already installed

Sorin Srbu sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se
Thu Apr 16 12:35:40 UTC 2009

Behalf
>Of Sorin Srbu
>Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2009 2:09 PM
>To: 'CentOS mailing list'
>Subject: [CentOS] Dual-boot with WinXP, CentOS already installed
>
>I'd like to deploy a solution with dual-booting systems where CentOS 5.3 is
>already installed and WinXP will be installed to a separate disk.
>
>I found
>http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_linux_and_windows_xp_linux_installed_fir
st.htm?page=1
>and it seems straight forward enough, although the description is for
Ubuntu.

>The problem as I see it, is that the how-to differs from how CentOS looks
in
>/etc/grub.conf and the boot-loader in Ubuntu with respect to making grub
work
>again after the Windows install.

Googled some more. Realised /boot/grub/menu.lst *is* /etc/grub.conf... Duh!

Also some people say it's better to have Windows installed to the first
harddrive and the first partition (so that C: is the where it should be on
1st hd/1st partition).

Would I be better off disconnecting the drive containing CentOS and
reconnect it when I'm done installing Windows. Then boot with CentOS rescue
and reinstall grub to the Windows-hd MBR?