[CentOS] USB device not connected (CentOS 5.3)

Bart Schaefer barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 05:37:11 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> Could be a problem with the USB port on the CentOS computer, or if you
> are using a cable on with that computer, the cable.

Same cable everywhere.  Four different computers (two desktops, two
laptops; three custom-built, one an HP; and the HP is the one running
CentOS 5.3).  Fails on CentOS 4.7 desktop and CentOS 5.3 laptop. Works
on Windows XPsp3 desktop and Ubuntu 8.04 laptop.  Maxtor OneTouch
works on the CentOS 5.3 laptop (in fact, that laptop has its root
filesystem on the Maxtor USB).

So it sure looks like some specific incompatibility of this I/O Magic
drive enclosure with the EL4/EL5 USB drivers.