[CentOS] USB device not connected (CentOS 5.3)

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Apr 29 06:47:45 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 22:37 -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 6:24 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> > Could be a problem with the USB port on the CentOS computer, or if you
> > are using a cable on with that computer, the cable.
> Same cable everywhere.  Four different computers (two desktops, two
> laptops; three custom-built, one an HP; and the HP is the one running
> CentOS 5.3).  Fails on CentOS 4.7 desktop and CentOS 5.3 laptop. Works
> on Windows XPsp3 desktop and Ubuntu 8.04 laptop.  Maxtor OneTouch
> works on the CentOS 5.3 laptop (in fact, that laptop has its root
> filesystem on the Maxtor USB).
> So it sure looks like some specific incompatibility of this I/O Magic
> drive enclosure with the EL4/EL5 USB drivers.
FWIW, I have an el cheapo USB card reader that won't work on WinXP (2
computers) but works fine on Linux including the same computer via

I also had problems with a USB hard disk drive on one computer until I
updated the BIOS. Always make sure that computers that exhibit these
problems, you would want to update BIOS on them.

Basically, USB sucks as a technology and it can be entirely

believed to be clean.