[CentOS] Threading and CentOS mailing list digest

Fri Apr 17 23:17:15 UTC 2009
Robert Nichols <rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net>

David G. Miller wrote:
> Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com> wrote:
>
> What is happening is I get the CentOS mailing list in digest form.  That
> is, I get one e-mail each day with all of the previous day's posts.  If
> I notice a topic that I feel I can contribute to, I cut and paste an
> appropriate e-mail from the digest and "reply" to the list setting the
> subject appropriately (i.e., "Re: <original subject>).  This is somewhat
> of a pain but it is more than made up for by the convenience of getting
> the list traffic in digest form.
>
> Your complaint is the first I've heard that this creates a problem for
> anyone.  Unfortunately, I don't see a way to set the "in reply to" mail
> header element though T-Bird.  If anyone has a reasonable (meaning
> doesn't take significantly more of my time than my current approach)
> alternative, I'm more than wiling to change how I'm posting.  Giving up
> getting the list traffic in digest form is not acceptable.

I avoid the problem by accessing this list via the mail-to-news gateway
on news.gmane.org and suspending the list email delivery entirely.  All
the messages are threaded, I don't have to store the old messages in a
thread for future reference, and the only time a message shows up in my
email inbox is when someone responds with "reply all" (or one of the
occasional "I am away" responses) to one of my postings.  It makes life
on this list much more pleasant.

The only one-time hiccup is that the first time you use "Reply" via the
Gmane news server you will have to respond to a confirmation message in
your email.  Thereafter, your replies (in that newsgroup) go straight
through, just like this one does for me.

                 Do NOT delete it.