[CentOS] CentOS Project Infrastructure

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Aug 7 20:39:23 UTC 2009

Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>> I missed the memo -- what do we have a stranglehold on?
>> Remember, I'm just commenting on appearances and wording, but all you
>> have to do is read this thread to see that there are people offering to
>> help and being refused.  And meanwhile there are things that aren't on
>> schedule.  Or maybe there isn't a schedule - or maybe no one is supposed
>> to expect one.

>>> I've done that repeatedly -- either people do not read, or
>>> will not believe what we write.  Nothing of human creation
>>> cannot be all things to all people and it is foolish to think
>>> otherwise.
>> That was in response to Johnny's comment about having to personally know
>> someone before they would be allowed to touch anything in the
>> repository.  What if something happens to Johnny?  Is there a bigger
>> picture?
>>

> There are several other people all with the capability to build things
> ... we are just not adding more.
>
> There are only 2 people building SciLinux.
>
> I am tired of all the complaining.
>
> Use it or don't, at this point I don't care.

I want to point out as well that we have SIGs with people in them who
can commit limited code an items ... and those groups each have a team
member who validates the code.

We are not trying to become Fedora, it already exists.

There are 3rd party repos as well for things that are not part of CentOS
proper.

Our goal is 100% compliance and testing that compliance with upstream
functionality.

The community is the Mailing Lists ... the Forums ... the Wiki, etc.

Not building packages and submitting packages to the repositories.
(Although we do allow that also in a limited fashion in the SIGS and the
testing repo.)