[CentOS] CentOS Project Infrastructure

Ian Murray murrayie at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 9 03:12:05 UTC 2009

> 4 million unique machines do not agree with you, regardless of what you
> want to believe.

I don't think the machines have an opinion, either way. :o) Seriously, I suppose you are using the '4 million machines we must be doing something right' argument which is fair comment, if perhaps a touch arrogant, IMHO. Have you rechecked that number after this thread?!? CentOS's success is based on confidence in the product and the 'support' infrastructure that surrounds it (i.e. upgrades, security, etc - I don't mean break/fix). Those 4 million machines are relying on a handful of (dedicated and hardworking) individuals. What is the contingency if any one of those gets long term sick, personal crisis or something worse?  You only get contingency when you bring ppl in, pass on the knowledge, etc. This discussion harks back to the slowness of the release 5.3, were a wedding got in the way. Not doubt the 'core' team at CentOS are some pretty (scratch that... very) smart and hardworking guys but you are not the only ones in the CentOS world.

> CentOS is now what it has been for the last 5 years.

> It is not any different now than it ever has been.

Why pick a name that was so misleading, then?

<snip>

Anyway, best of luck with it all.