[CentOS] FireWire in CentOS 5.3

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Tue Aug 18 18:07:11 UTC 2009

Michael A. Peters wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
>
>> If the current firewire kernel driver in CentOS does not work for you,
>> take a look at:
>>
>> http://blog.toracat.org/2008/12/getting-kino-to-work-on-centos-5/
>>
>> that I wrote some time ago when I tried to get my camcorder to work.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>
> Thanks!

With respect to permissions on the device - I did the same thing I did
for serial port -

/etc/security/console.perms.d/51-custom.perms :

-=-=-=-=-=-
# device classes -- these are shell-style globs
<garmin>=/dev/ttyS0
<firewire>=/dev/fw0

# permission definitions
<console> 0600 <garmin> 0660 root.uucp
<console> 0600 <firewire> 0600 root.root

The perms are correct after logging in, once I have the camera I guess
I'll see if it works.

As far as the hard drive I'll use, I think I will go SATA-II just to
avoid any issues.