[CentOS] virt-manager crashes Host during installation of guest

Ian Murray murrayie at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Aug 20 14:21:33 UTC 2009

> Again, I think this is the wrong way to go, it's outdated. I've never done
> it this way and I think this How-To is derived from very old Xen versions
> and got updated a few times over time without changing the basics. It
> *may* work, but it's complicated to follow and overly complex, e.g. you
> can very easily make a tiny mistake and never get going which is highly
> frustrating.

Actual, virt-install commmand line looks no less daunting to me. The Wiki described method should work for all RH derived distributions that are Xen PV compatible. I tried SME (or it might have been Trixbox... or both!) and it installed okay, but the kernel wasn't happy in a Xen world. Could fix it, but was lazy and used hardware virtualisation. Personally, I prefer to keep swap on a seperate partition, as it makes it easier to mount root. I don't know if that is possible under virt-install.

To be honest, I don't really think there are too many shortcuts with Xen, because it pays to understand how it works at a lower level, how to mount loopbacks, even with LVM's inside them, etc. I can't really remember the options under virt-install, but if they do 'dumb things down', then that may not be helpful in the long run.

Anyway, both ways are way more friendly than debootstrapping your Debian system. ;o)

> disk = [ "file:/home2/vm/d-minimal.img,xvda,w"]

I think tap:aio is more favoured than file, for performance reasons.