[CentOS] my fonts look horrible (centos5.3/xfce)

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Aug 28 08:32:37 UTC 2009

Ryan Pugatch wrote:
> Lucian @ lastdot.org wrote:
>
>> rpm -ivh http://repo.lastdot.org/tmp/msttcorefonts-2.0-1.noarch.rpm
>> service xfs restart
>> Restart your application..
>> Is it working now?
>

> I removed my msttcorefonts pkg and installed yours.. no difference.
>
> I rebuilt freetype again just for good measure.. nothing.
>
> Now I somehow did manage somewhere along the line to make the fonts look
> a little better.  But I still think they look horrible.
>
> http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/4732/sucko.jpg
>
> I am so frustrated because I have everything else just the way I want
> it.. but the fonts are so jagged ;[

I never had jagged fonts with the standard xfce in extras and normal
CentOS using the liberation fonts and the standard freetype from centos.
 I was using the same fonts I used in Gnome.

Maybe I am missing something, why did you need to rebuild freetype?

Are you using the xfce from centos 5 extras?

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes