[CentOS] my fonts look horrible (centos5.3/xfce)

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Aug 28 08:48:02 UTC 2009

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> Ryan Pugatch wrote:
>> Lucian @ lastdot.org wrote:
>>
>>> rpm -ivh http://repo.lastdot.org/tmp/msttcorefonts-2.0-1.noarch.rpm
>>> service xfs restart
>>> Restart your application..
>>> Is it working now?
>>

>> I removed my msttcorefonts pkg and installed yours.. no difference.
>>
>> I rebuilt freetype again just for good measure.. nothing.
>>
>> Now I somehow did manage somewhere along the line to make the fonts look
>> a little better.  But I still think they look horrible.
>>
>> http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/4732/sucko.jpg
>>
>> I am so frustrated because I have everything else just the way I want
>> it.. but the fonts are so jagged ;[
>>

> I never had jagged fonts with the standard xfce in extras and normal
> CentOS using the liberation fonts and the standard freetype from centos.
>  I was using the same fonts I used in Gnome.
>
> Maybe I am missing something, why did you need to rebuild freetype?
>
> Are you using the xfce from centos 5 extras?

Here is a list of the relevant fonts I have installed:

bitstream-vera-fonts-1.10-7
liberation-fonts-1.0-1.el5
libXfont-1.2.2-1.0.3.el5_1
libXfontcache-1.0.2-3.1
xorg-x11-fonts-100dpi-7.1-2.1.el5
xorg-x11-fonts-75dpi-7.1-2.1.el5
xorg-x11-fonts-base-7.1-2.1.el5
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-100dpi-7.1-2.1.el5
xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-75dpi-7.1-2.1.el5
xorg-x11-fonts-misc-7.1-2.1.el5
xorg-x11-fonts-truetype-7.1-2.1.el5
xorg-x11-fonts-Type1-7.1-2.1.el5
xorg-x11-font-utils-7.1-2

After you make sure liberation-fonts and bitstream-vera-fonts are
installed, try making "Bitstream Vera Sans" or "Liberation Sans" your
application font.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes