[CentOS] Need httpd / apache RPM > 2.2.3 for 5.3

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 14:39:47 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:32 AM, Alan McKay<alan.mckay at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> It looks to me like the httpd on CentOS is stuck at 2.2.2 - what's up
> with that?  Even after a yum upgrade.
>
> I need 2.2.10 or greater, and would prefer to get it via yum or at
> very last an RPM if at all possible.  But I cannot even find an RPM
> out there.  For some reason both EPEL and Dag Wieers do not even seem
> to have an httpd RPM for RHEL5

They both try to not overwrite 'core' packages in the distro without
good reason.

> Any idea where to look?
> Why are we stuck at 2.2.3 which was a 2006 release?

Because that's the version that was stabilized and locked into EL5.
EL5 was released in early 2007, so it fits. As the distro ages, so
does the software.

See http://www.redhat.com/security/updates/backporting/ and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backporting

George Orwell