[CentOS] Need httpd / apache RPM > 2.2.3 for 5.3

Filipe Brandenburger filbranden at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 15:06:57 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:32, Alan McKay<alan.mckay at gmail.com> wrote:
> It looks to me like the httpd on CentOS is stuck at 2.2.2 - what's up
> with that?  Even after a yum upgrade.

As Jim suggested, please read this:
http://www.redhat.com/security/updates/backporting/

The whole point of using an "Enterprise" distribution is to have
components that are guaranteed to work together. You will receive
updates that will fix critical bugs and mainly security issues, but on
the other hand, you accept to use software that does not have all the
latest features and bells and whistles.

If you want cutting-edge, CentOS is not for you.

Although you can get the latest Apache and shoehorn it into CentOS,
that defeats the whole point of using CentOS in the first place...

If you really need something more recent, I would advise you to look
into Fedora or Ubuntu. On the other hand, with those you will need to
do a full distribution upgrade every six months, as opposed to
CentOS/RHEL where a major version is supported and will receive
security updates for many years after its initial release.

HTH,
Filipe