[CentOS] Centos 5.3 install on gigabyte GA-MA790FX-UD5P motherboard

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Mon Aug 31 10:33:20 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 05:08:18PM +1000, Nathan Norton wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having some difficulties installing centos 5.3 on the gigabyte GA-MA790FX-UD5P motherboard.

Not that it will help you any, but I"ve got Centos 5.3 on my Gigabyte
MA770-UD3 board. Probably different enough that it's not a valid data point.

I was looking at a different Gigabyte board. Not certain but it may have
been the one you have, but couldn't find out if Linux--especially an
older one like Centos--supported all the new chipsets on the board, so I
backed off to one where I could find mention of other people running
Linux on it.

My guess is that you'll need a newer distro for that board. Keep in mind
that Centos 5 was not leading edge when the upstream provider released it
two years ago. It is intended to be stable, not bleeding edge.

Good luck!