[CentOS] CentOS Project Infrastructure

Thu Aug 6 19:02:44 UTC 2009
R P Herrold <herrold at centos.org>

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009, Les Mikesell wrote:

>> But the hard fact is that CentOS has been, is, and will
>> remain a reliable approach for millions of systems, not with
>> an 'open anything goes' management, but with a conservative
>> and careful one, based on observed and continued technical
>> merit by dedicated insiders.

> Leaving outsiders to wonder what happens if those few insiders have a
> bad day.

... and we took heat for going public as well.  We have done
what is right and accepted that not all will be pleased.
Thanks for being in there, throwing rocks, Les

I had occasion to review the stats on how important our commo
efforts are in the last few weeks.  Some sysadmins, and some
trade press watch; must simply do not care.  I am astonished
at how few people are on centos-announce ML to catch the
important asynchronous security related announcements

I did not see a furor when I posted the following.  The
htp://planet.centos.org/ RSS feed consolidator carried it to a
wide fanout.  I know it had 35k distinct IP's access it from
logfiles in the first week:
 	http://orcorc.blogspot.com/2009/02/money-for-nothing-and-chicks-for-free.html
and the followup:
 	http://orcorc.blogspot.com/2009/03/nine-pregnant-gals-in-queue.html
was even more widely read and picked up in the trade press

It was carefully drafted by me, and says up top in bold:

 	If you feel you need the facilities provided by the
 	CentOS project sooner than it is provided, or that you need
 	deterministic releases of support: Please go buy such from our
 	upstream, or from a third party vendor who can sell you the
 	expedited subset of services truly needed.

The point is, all the knowledge one needs to locally front run
Centos for a subset of packages (updates and point releases,
and even major releases as we com into the 6 timeframe) are
long since out there.  It is FOSS

The project under the familiar name ** might ** have moved,
and the old domain left behind to wither away -- we now know
that is not going to happen either.  Thanks Lance, thanks
letter co-signers, on the domain transfer

The end of that second post remains relevant as well

-- Russ herrold