[CentOS] Dangerous Software Raid instructions on Wiki

Wed Aug 12 14:41:10 UTC 2009
Chan Chung Hang Christopher <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk>

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SoftwareRAIDonCentOS5

has:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=64
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=512 count=64

Will the joker who put in this particular gem without any warnings or a
clear explanation for those who need a clueby4 with regards to file
systems please either remove the instructions or add a very clear
warning that damage to file systems that is not recoverable will result
if run on the wrong disk(s).

My successor at my previous job has gleefully followed those
instructions (he seriously needs a clueby4 which is why he bothers to
actually read HowTos) and on a production box (who wants pop-corn and
soda? Sorry, the er support conversation will not be on irc) and I think
this seriously highlights the need for HowTo writers to seriously
consider their audience as dumb monkeys that just follow whatever you
tell them to do without thinking if you do not list out things they
first have to think about or questions they first need to answer.

Christopher