[CentOS] DNS Server Recommendations

Fri Aug 14 21:17:37 UTC 2009
Hugh E Cruickshank <hugh at forsoft.com>

Hi All:

I am looking for some possible recommendations on the handling of our
internal DNS services. First some background...

Until recently our entire network was located within a single facility
with internal DNS services provided by our CentOS 4.7 (using BIND).
While I had problems with DHCP/DNS communications it was basically
working.

At the beginning of the month we moved the production servers (a couple
of RHEL5.3 boxes with a Windows 2008 server) to a new facility connected to
the old facility via a VPN. We are still running with our DevSys as
the DNS server but I would like to make the two locations at least
partially independent. I have been doing some research (probably
enough to be really dangerous to myself<g>) and it looks like I need
to setup a master/slave setup.

Here are my questions...

1. Is the BIND master/slave the appropriate approach?

2. Can I have each subnet be a master for itself and a slave for the
   other subnet?

3. Any pointers to applicable docs/examples?

4. Can you recommend a "front end" for BIND (we have webmin installed
   but I have yet to start working with it)?

Any and all thoughts, suggestions, criticisms gladly accepted.

TIA

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com