[CentOS] DNS Server Recommendations

Fri Aug 14 23:18:06 UTC 2009
Robert Spangler <mlists at zoominternet.net>

On Friday 14 August 2009 17:17, Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:

>  Here are my questions...
>
>  1. Is the BIND master/slave the appropriate approach?

Yes, you should already have something like this in case the main/master
server would fail.

>  2. Can I have each subnet be a master for itself and a slave for the
>     other subnet?

DNS is about domains not subnets.  If each subnet was going to have it's own
domain then the answer could be 'yes'.

>  3. Any pointers to applicable docs/examples?

The ones that ship with the Bind package are good from what I understand.  I
have not looked at them so I cannot say one way or the other.  If you are
looking for a good book on the subject I would highly recommend O'Reilly's
DNS and BIND 5th edition.

>  4. Can you recommend a "front end" for BIND (we have webmin installed
>     but I have yet to start working with it)?

How large is this domain and how many domains are there going to be?
Is the DNS server going to be updated automatically or by hand?

--

Regards
Robert

Linux User #296285