[CentOS] problem with udev when booting kernel 5.3 release 128.4.1

Wed Aug 19 15:06:29 UTC 2009
Rob Kampen <rkampen at kampensonline.com>

Hi List,
I am running a 64 bit 5.3 kernel on an intel mb and all has been well.
Today I thought it would be okay to reboot so that the latest kernel was
running - i.e move from 128.2.1 to 128.4.1 release.
The system passes POST fine, grub passes control to the 128.4.1 kernel
and the boot process is under way.
after some 30 secs the system starts beeping - continuously.
After I hooked up a monitor I find that udev does not come up with OK
and thats when the system starts the beep beep beep ......
No logs to see ......
using grub to select 128.2.1 boot fine
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance for your words of wisdom and advice.
Rob