[CentOS] Battery condition tools CentOS/Dell

Wed Aug 5 18:55:11 UTC 2009
Anne Wilson <cannewilson at googlemail.com>

On Wednesday 05 August 2009 18:38:12 Kwan Lowe wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Blake Hudson<blake at ispn.net> wrote:
> > How old is your laptop?  This may be a case of expectations not meeting
> > reality. As the Wiki article linked previously mentions, LiION batteries
> > deteriorate over time and with use (as do all batteries). In my
> > experience, a typical laptop battery (treated well) will last 2 years
> > while maintaining the majority of its original capacity. After 5 years,
> > the battery run time is often inadequate to meet the needs of the owner.
> > When purchasing a laptop, I would have the expectation that the battery
> > will need replaced every 2-3 years - if the laptop is used, assume that
> > it needs a new battery.
>
> The laptop is about 18 months old, so the battery was nearing its end
> but I'd hoped for at least another 6 months of useful time (more than
> 10 minutes).  The battery is in worse condition than three identical
> batteries in the other 3 laptops purchased at the same time. The main
> difference is that this laptop is plugged in continuously while the
> others are mobile.

My laptop is four years old, and yes the battery is aging.  When I bought the
laptop there were instructions that if a laptop is used mainly on mains, you
should run it on battery, say once a month or so, until you are down to 10%.
It was claimed that the periodic discharge in this way actually lengthens the
life-span of the battery.

Anne