[CentOS] Battery condition tools CentOS/Dell

Wed Aug 5 19:34:46 UTC 2009
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

Anne Wilson wrote:

> My laptop is four years old, and yes the battery is aging.  When I bought the
> laptop there were instructions that if a laptop is used mainly on mains, you
> should run it on battery, say once a month or so, until you are down to 10%.
> It was claimed that the periodic discharge in this way actually lengthens the
> life-span of the battery.
>
> Anne

Lithium Ion type batteries do not have the Memory issue of older battery
types, where you need to discharge fully to cycle it from low to high to
build capacity.

It is better that you never discharge a Lithium Battery if possible.

Here is a very good article on Li Ion batteries:

http://batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes