[CentOS] (HOWTO) Crypto root with the LUKS key on a USB stick

Devin Reade gdr at gno.org
Wed Dec 2 18:46:51 UTC 2009

I've written up a document on how to have whole-disk encryption
(minus /boot) while having your LUKS key on a USB stick.  (Whether or
not this is a good idea depends on your usage model, and I won't get
into that).

The document is at
and is targetted at CentOS 5.4.  It supersedes my howto for crypto root
(for interactive boot or USB sticks) for CentOS 5.1 - 5.3 (the old
links are on that page).

If anyone has feedback on it, feel free to contact me privately.

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human.  At best he
is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe, and not make
messes in the house.					- Robert Heinlein