[CentOS] Is ext4 safe for a production server?

Morten Torstensen morten at mortent.org
Thu Dec 10 20:06:46 UTC 2009

On 05.12.2009 18:15, Miguel Medalha wrote:
>> And, as of CentOS 5.4, xfs is now enabled in the kernel, so
>> no need for any external kernel module. But yes, this is available for
>> x86_64 only
>
> ... a decision that many people have trouble at understanding!

XFS is not stable on 32-bit systems. You should not use it there. You
need a 64-bit kernel.

Default for servers should be 64-bit now anyway. Not many reasons left
for a 32-bit system, and more and more 3. party applications have less
and less support for 32-bit platforms in general.

--

//Morten Torstensen
//Email: morten at mortent.org
//IM: morten.torstensen at gmail.com

I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer
Poland.
	-- Woody Allen