[CentOS] Red Hat commercial support for CentOS/Fedora

Ron Blizzard rb4centos at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 08:42:55 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 5:11 PM, Brian Mathis <brian.mathis at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Connie Sieh <csieh at fnal.gov> wrote:

>>> No support from Red Hat, as Robert Heller explained, but OpenLogic has
>>> recently announced commercial support for CentOS
>>>
>>> http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/OpenLogic-offers-CentOS-Linux-support-for-enterprises-873790.html
>>
>> But if you want to pay for support for CentOS why not just pay RedHat for
>> RHEL .
>>
>> -Connie Sieh
>>

> You might have a bunch of servers already installed with CentOS that
> you need support on, or you might need some consulting on one problem
> without wanting to pay for yearly subscriptions and license fees.

And it could be that OpenLogic is cheaper and/or more flexible. I
don't even know what Red Hat charges -- according to the linked press
release OpenLogic seems pretty flexible...

"Pricing on the support ranges from $500 per server, per year, for
small deployments and with unlimited server support starting at
$15,000 per year."

But I agree with Connie. Ideally I think you would want to go with Red
Hat. Not only should they know more about their own product, but by
licensing Red Hat you support the company that makes CentOS possible.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.4