[CentOS] routing with 2 ISPs

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Tue Dec 22 02:40:21 UTC 2009

David Hláčik <david at ...> writes:

> > Each VLAN has it's own DHCP which assigns ip address with netmask
> > and uses particular VLAN interface on router as a
> > gateway. If I will do so. I will lost a route between my VLAN's that
> > way and I do not want to use netmask so computers in local
> > lan can communicate without router.
> Well, actually they will also be not reacheable, since I am using
> switch with configured VLAN, so subnets can not physically reach each
> others.
>  I have done little research and I have noticed :
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-routes which seems to use
> route-$IFNAME and rule-$IFNAME files, passing lines to ip command.
> Maybe I can try a little game in this area.
> Thank you and Best Regards,
> David Hlacik
Hi David -

You might want to look into a router specific distro like Vyatta.  The community
edition is free or you can go the paid support route.

Vyatta will give you a much more robust router capability with a more
maintainable configuration than trying to set this up by hand using IP tables.
It also supports routing protocols like OSPF that make a lot more sense in the
type of application you're looking at.