[CentOS] LDAP for central authentication?

Thu Dec 3 02:55:15 UTC 2009
Scott Ehrlich <srehrlich at gmail.com>

I have the following on a network:

1) RHEL 5.0 Server acting as NIS and Samba domain controller

2) CentOS 5.x machines on NIS network

3) Win XP machines on Samba domain

When I create an account for someone, I need to first type adduser
new_person -d /home/new_person then passwd new_person, then cd /var/yp
and make.    Then smbpasswd -a new_person.   Thus, two different
databases.

On another network, I have separate XP and Linux (CentOS 5.x, RHEL
5.x, and Suse) systems.   No Samba, no NIS.   Can I still set up a
central LDAP directory for a single account database?

For the NIS+Samba case, can I merge both credential files into a
central database using LDAP?   I would also want to control password
length, complexity, aging, and other things.

What is the best way to do this?

Thanks.

Scott