[CentOS] LDAP for central authentication?

Thu Dec 3 19:16:02 UTC 2009
Gary L. Greene, Jr. <ggreene at minervanetworks.com>

On Wednesday 02 December 2009 6:55:15 pm Scott Ehrlich wrote:
> I have the following on a network:
>
> 1) RHEL 5.0 Server acting as NIS and Samba domain controller
>
> 2) CentOS 5.x machines on NIS network
>
> 3) Win XP machines on Samba domain
>

> When I create an account for someone, I need to first type adduser
> new_person -d /home/new_person then passwd new_person, then cd /var/yp
> and make.    Then smbpasswd -a new_person.   Thus, two different
> databases.
>

> On another network, I have separate XP and Linux (CentOS 5.x, RHEL
> 5.x, and Suse) systems.   No Samba, no NIS.   Can I still set up a
> central LDAP directory for a single account database?
>

> For the NIS+Samba case, can I merge both credential files into a
> central database using LDAP?   I would also want to control password
> length, complexity, aging, and other things.
>
> What is the best way to do this?
>

> Thanks.
>
> Scott

In your case, you should look at samba with the LDAP backend. This will allow
all data to be in LDAP for the non-Windows boxes, and the Windows clients
would treat it as an NT4 styled domain.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
IT Operations