[CentOS] College student printer for CentOS 5.4 x86_64?

Sat Dec 19 23:33:18 UTC 2009
David McGuffey <davidmcguffey at verizon.net>

On Sat, 2009-12-19 at 10:52 +0100, Louis Lagendijk wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-12-18 at 20:20 -0500, David McGuffey wrote:
> > Oldest son came back from college and wants a printer for his Dell
> > laptop.  I built it with CentOS 5.3 x86_64 several months ago and will
> > upgrade it to 5.4
> >
> > The Cannon printer he now has (bought with the laptop and Vista through
> > the university book store), doesn't seem to have linux drivers.
>
> what model printer is this? Did you check http://www.linuxprinting.org?
> You may also want to take a look at turboprint www.turboprint.info , it
> is commercial, but offer good quality drivers for a lot of printers. It
> will still be cheaper than to buy a new printer....

Yes, I checked that site.  The printer is a USB Cannon IP1800. Chasing
links I found at linuxprinting I had to go to Japan to get a driver, but
it wouldn't work.

My HP Photosmart 3210 (ethernet) at home works on CentOS.  I may give
him that one, and buy a new printer for CINC House and me.

DaveM