[CentOS] Optimizing CentOS for gigabit firewall

Mon Dec 21 11:59:57 UTC 2009
Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik at iki.fi>

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 12:04:32PM +0200, sadas sadas wrote:
>    <pasik at iki.fi><centos at centos.org>
>    >Some months ago there was discussions about 10 gbit performance with
>    >Linux. Some guys were pushing over 70 Gbit/sec through a single linux
>    >box.
>
>    </centos at centos.org></pasik at iki.fi>70 Gbit/sec ? Maybe with port
>    aggravation it's possible. Can you give some more info about that guys. To
>    achieve that hight throughput maybe it's necessary to cut most of the OS
>    and the kernel, leaving only the necessary. I'm very interested to read
>    more information about the experiment.
>
>    regards
>
>    p.s here you can see 10 Gbit/s experiment
>    http://haproxy.1wt.eu/10g.html

See this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/linux.kernel/browse_thread/thread/70e62d8a85cd3241

quote:
"We also achieved nearly 80 Gbps in bidirectional TCP tests (40 Gbps
simultaneously in each direction):

This was using 2 dual-port 10-GigE NICs in the first two PCIe 2.0 slots.
We are using an Intel i7 965 quad-core 3.2 GHz Nehalem processor
(overclocked to 3.4 GHz) and 2000 MHz DDR3 memory.  Adding an additional
dual-port 10-GigE NIC on the Nvidia N200 chip does only marginally
better, as it appears we are basically CPU limited at this point for
this test (the sum of the TX and RX CPU utilization for each pair of
10-GigE interfaces is about 93%). "

-- Pasi