[CentOS] Sparc?

Wed Dec 30 00:24:48 UTC 2009
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

Peter A wrote:
> Jason,
>
> 5 will run solaris 10 with a few initial issues. You may have to install 8 or
> 9 first and then do a firmware upgrade to get 10 to boot for installation. Also,
> 512MB max will restrict you in what you can do. ZfS boot is possible but slow
> and in general use, you want to reduce the size of zfs caches.
> Finally, depending on the graphics card, you may not be able to get a
> graphical login. But since you said your son wants to do cli f and knows all
> the commands already, that wouldn't be such a big issue.

indeed, since it has one slow IDE disk and 512MB max, I would likely
just format it as one big UFS root, and a gig or two of swap/tmpfs ...
I would not use ZFS on that machine.

If you do go the scsi controller route, and get two scsi disks, make one
/export

OH, and I just remembered.  the Ultra 10 uses the same memory board, but
has a little more room in the chassis, and supports 4 x 256MB tall dimms
of the right type, for 1GB.    you can get away with this in hte U5 by
hacking a bit on the inside.    catch is, the low profile 256MB modules
that fit the U5 are kinda expensive,
http://www.memoryxsun.com/mx7039al.html (2 of these kits).
oh, same vendor cheaper on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-512MB-2x256MB-Sun-Ultra-5-10-low-profile-X7039A-L_W0QQitemZ110420793813QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCOMP_EN_Networking_Components?hash=item19b59799d5#ht_500wt_956

these tall ones will require a bit of kit bashing to fit,
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sun-Ultra-10-Memory-1GB-4x256MB-50NS-X7039A_W0QQitemZ400089670137QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCOMP_EN_Workstations?hash=item5d2733e1f9#ht_500wt_956

.