[CentOS] tinydns/djbdns opinion poll

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 16:38:46 UTC 2009

centos at 911networks.com wrote:

>> >From what I could find, it looks like this software hasn't really
>>> had
>> any community drive behind it in a while. The latest RPMs on
>> rpmforge are for red hat 6 and red hat 7. I very much dislike the
>> idea of compiling my own because of all the overhead associated
>> with making sure the system stays up-to-date and so on so this
>> really puts me off already. Does anyone have an opinion on this
>
> 1. DJBDNS does not need to be maintained: IT'S PERFECT. Bugless, no
> security hole... and does NOT support IPv6.
> 2. It's  great, works like a rock.

I've heard that story before about other djb code (qmail).  Turned out
to be horribly wrong and never fixed, so I'll never trust anything with
those initials attached again.

> 3. Everything you need to know, including winning the loto, is at:
> http://www.lifewithdjbdns.com/
> with all the explanations and the installation is toward the end of
> the page.

I'd advice planning out a strategy to migrate your zones back to bind if
you do go this route.  Tinydns does some implicit magic that, if you
use, will make someone's life difficult later when they try to figure
out how to rebuild bind zone files to do the same thing.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com